The Social Imagination and Homelessness
- Field: Social Science – Sociology
We will learn about many social problems during this course. Some problems are very complex and are typically the result of both individual and social issues. Developing your sociological imagination requires that you see a social problem from many perspectives.
For this discussion, watch the video, Homelessness is a Symptom (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site., which covers the complexity of the problem of homelessness, costs of the problem to individuals and society, and the challenges associated with doing something about the problem. Also, read The Sociological Imagination and Personal Crises (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.and look at the slide presentation Applying the Sociological Imagination to Homelessness (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. to address the questions below.
- In what ways might homelessness be categorized as a social problem? Explain your reasoning and support your points with examples from the textbook.
- Some of the policies suggested in the video involve government policies and funds to address homelessness. Suggest at least one other way that policies and/or programs to address homelessness can be funded. How do you define what is appropriate use of public funds and how does the use of public funds fit inside or outside of appropriate use? The policies described in this the video may be controversial. What concerns do you have about these policies?
- The sociological imagination asks you to look at what may seem like personal problems as social problems that are experienced widely by groups of people. Using your sociological imagination, describe the ways in which homeless is a social problem. Which groups are disproportionately impacted by the social problem?
- Complete a web search focusing on policies intended to reduce or eliminate homelessness. Provide an example of a potentially effective response to the problem of homelessness. Define the elements that make this solution effective.
Support your claims with examples from required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references.