Field: Social Science – Sociology
- Field: Social Science – Sociology
Write a 500 word essay (typed, double-spaced, 12pt font, Include citations as needed) that answers the above questions.
conduct a search for a recent legislative bill related to legal and/or illegal immigration that has been proposed or passed by the U.S. Congress or by a state legislature or by voters of a particular states.
Search and read information regarding the bill. Use the following questions to guide your research:
- What are stated reasons for the need of the legislation?
- What are the main goals of the legislation?
- What “problems” will the legislation attempt to solve?
- What role does race and/or ethnicity play in the proposed or passed legislation?
Does the legislation seem to assume many of the “myths” about immigration or immigrants to be true? See pages 284-285 for a list of myths and the reality about immigration.
What do you think will be the impact of the legislation on individuals, families, communities, and local industry? What is the impact to citizens, and what is the impact to immigrants?